Saturday, November 28, 2009

Written in 2008

"If I were to give the home cook any advice, it would be to cook with the people you are cooking for, and to cook for the people you love. It may be an exaggeration, but I believe that cooking at home is at the center of any well-balanced life. If you make cooking something that everyone is involved in, not just a delivery system for the food, it can be a tremendous source of sustenance in any family unit. There is a thread there, a connection to the food that is as essential and as nourishing as the food itself."

"Cooking like this is not just a financial issue for me. It is an emotional issue. I have a relationship with everything I cook, and finding new ways to use these foods at different stages of their existence represents a desire in me to continue those relationships. After cooking and carving a whole turkey, for instance, I am not ready to break up with the turkey just yet, so I boil the carcass as a way of prolonging our bond."

-- Kenny Shopsin, in his truly great, beautifully designed, and, for me, now indispensable cookbook
Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment